Skip to main content

Review - Starmaps & Constellations by Surreal

 This is a band I recently discovered.  They are a progressive pop band.  You can definitely hear influences of Dream Theater, but without the metal in your face sound.  You can even hear a bit of Neal Morse, without the 20+ minute songs of complex, ear exhausting instrumental jams. Don't get me wrong.  I love both of those bands, but they can get a bit exhausting to listen to after a while. The production is top notch all throughout, with not a single "weak" spot.  

Surreal is not like that.  I can listen to them all day, every day.  They just released their 2nd album, "Starmaps & Constellations" and it is even better than their first album, "The Rush."

It opens with a really amazing track called "Orion" which really reminds me of a band called Atticus Fault, at least until the near dubstep break just after the middle of the song.  This song is one of my favorites as it is almost an ambient rock hybrid.  I know that makes no sense, but once you hear it, you'll know what I mean.  It's quite beautiful, yet still rocks...and it has a killer keyboard solo, and a really cool electronic break down in it that almost sounds like dubstep territory.  All while keeping an almost ambient vibe throughout.  Trust me.  It's amazing.

The second song, "The Best Days" is s faster, rocker.  Not really progressive so to speak, but the vocals....this guy doesn't just sing.  He can sang. 

"Embers" is next which opens with some serious guitar chugging.  This song definitely has that Neal Morse inspiration I mentioned above, though I doubt Neal has ever written a 4 minute song before.  The way the guitars, drums and keys work together though definitely gives it that sound.  One of the highlights for me for sure.  The vocal production on this song is stellar. 

"Journey To Atlantis", the albums only instrumental song, opens up with some deep keyboard bass, a nice pad, strings and beautiful piano, then breaks into a nice rock groove with a subtle keyboard lead. This song is more along the Dream Theater sound I mentioned above.  If I didn't know any better, I would totally think Jordan Rudess was on keys on this song.  This is definitely the most progressive song on the album.  Dream Theater fans will absolutely love this song. 

"Resurgence" comes next and has a unique twist on the vocals for the opening, using distortion and a lower register.  The keyboard sequencing on the bass line of this song is brutal which is almost made danceable by the drum beat.  This is probably the most intense song on the album, especially once the keyboard solo screams it way into your speakers, shortly followed the breakdown which is nothing but huge keyboards and vocals saturated in reverb (Not over saturated...it sounds amazing), and then ending on the heavy side again.

"Chasing Wind" has a unique sound that almost sounds folk, and maybe a bit jarring after the brutal "Resurgence", however,  this is a progressive pop album, so it quickly picks up pace to a nice pop rock song.  Towards the end, you'll hear some gang vocals.  He had a bunch of people contribute to that rather than trying to do them all himself.  Yep, your's truly and his wife are a part of that.  Did I mention that I'm a huge fan? 

"Firefly Cloud Pt. II" starts off very ethereal, into a nice rock groove for the introduction, until the vocals kick in with an ethereal keyboard pad again, reminiscent of "Orion".  While not really having that ambient / hybrid sound much past the first verse, this song still has a very nice flow to it.  This is the longest song on the album, clocking it at exactly 8 minutes, but it doesn't seem that long because the song has such a nice flow to it.  The guitar work on this song is simply beautiful as are the vocals (as always). 

"Northern Cross" closes the album out with the more ambient sounds again, with vocals that seemingly soar through the keyboards, which are among my favorite sounds on this entire album.  This song is chilling and my guess is that this song is rather personal for the vocalist as you can really hear the emotion in his voice.  

Whether you like prog rock, pop rock, or just some great sounding music, you will find something on this album you will love.  My guess is, you will find a lot of something on this album you will love.  It is my favorite album of the year, so far.  It's that good.

10/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restating The Obvious Lyrics and Notes

  Restating The Obvious (This document is available in PDF format with the purchase of my album, "Restating The Obvious" on my bandcamp site here: https://midiboy.bandcamp.com )   “Restating The Obvious” is a complete remake of Midiboy’s 1 st full length CD which was called “Stating The Obvious.”  The original album came with a 16 page booklet that contained the lyrics, along with a story set up to look like a journal.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to the original graphic artwork for that album and because I’ve also restructured, added two songs and rearranged the order of some of the songs, simply copying the original booklet didn’t seem like a great plan either.   An interesting note about the original album, and ultimately still holds true for this remake, is that it was reviewed by two popular online magazines, one Christian and one Secular.  The Christian magazine said that while the music was good, the message was lacking and didn’t really seem Christian. 

Scars - Physical vs. Emotional

Scars - Physical vs. Emotional) (Note:  I wrote this 4 years ago with the intention of posting it, but it looks like I never got around to doing that, so after reading it again, I decided this needed to be posted) --------------------------------------------------------------------- After having my 6th surgery in 5 years, I have a lot of scars. Some healed to the point of not being able to see them at all, and a few I will likely have the rest of my life.  While the newest ones still hurt a little, they are healing.  They will get better.  The others are just cool little reminders of what happened.  They don’t hurt at all.  That’s because, in most cases, physical scars typically heal, at least the “pain” part of them.   Emotional scars are an entirely different story.  I’ve seen a lot about bullying lately.  Both on Facebook and on TV.  It’s really sad to me, because I just don’t get it.  Why do people feel the need to bully other people?  God made us all different.  How boring would i

Echoes Of The Obvious

You may have heard parts of my story on the radio.  You may have read the small 16 page “journal” that I published called Stating The Obvious, but I believe it is time to tell the rest.  My name is Logan, and this is my story.  I was born with a double cleft palette which was operated on and fixed when I was a baby, however, it left behind a rather noticeable scar and my nose was often considered flat and off center by the other kids.  For the most part, I didn’t really have a hard time dealing with that until I was in the 7th grade. -[]- I stopped at my locker to get the books for my next class.  Most of the other kids typically grabbed all the books they needed for the next several classes, but I always figured it was easier to get them one class at a time. “So, Logan, what’s your next class?” the pretentious kid with a neighboring locker asked. “Oh, I know what it is…it’s ‘How To Pick Up Your Books in Two Minutes Or Less.’ Isn’t that it?” came another excited voice from my l