Skip to main content

Finish What You Started

Today, I came across a meme about writing, that I think can also apply to music.  It said:

I wonder how many incredible book series are out there that I'll never get to read because the author gave up on their dream.  I bet my favorite book in the world was never even published.  Don't let that be your story.  Finish what you started. 

Anyway, it made me think of music.  You can say that the same thing can be said of musicians.  

Time to be brutally honest. 

I've almost given up lots of times because sometimes it seems I get even get people outside of close friends and family to even listen to my music. There are exceptions of course.  I have had several successful Kickstarter campaigns, usually funded by the same people, however, this time, I had almost 5 times the support than any previous one.  That blew me away.  Big time.  In fact, several people that I don't even know funded this.  So that was pretty amazing.  31 people backed "Intricately Woven."  So, they are a definite exception. 

Still, when I look at other projects that have hundreds and thousands of supporters, it can be discouraging, but I keep going in hopes that somehow, that certain someone will say, "Man, I love this music" and somehow, it spreads like wildfire from there.  

That's basically how Billie Eilish got started.  Her breakout album was  completely done in her home.  She wasn't signed at the time she recorded it.  Even the vocals were done in her brother's bedroom studio.  The amazing thing about her, is now that she is "big", she is signed, but she is still doing her music her way....and still writing and recording with her brother.  If you've ever seen interviews with her, she still lives at home with her parents and brother, and her home is just a standard "every home."  It's not a mansion.  It's not elaborate.  It's a two bedroom home and her parents sleep in the living room so that they can use one of the bedrooms as a studio when her brother isn't sleeping in his bed.  

She's 18.  She's a kid.  I'm 52. I'm old. I will likely never reach (nor do I really want to at this point) that kind of "fame." But from an interview I read with her, that I completely resonate with, she wasn't looking to get famous.  She just wanted to get her music out there so that others could hear it and perhaps relate to it.  

That's really all any artist wants.  Any true artist, that is. Any artist that does it just for the money isn't making art that reflects their heart or better yet, the heart of God.  They are making products.  

You have to truly understand that heart of an artist. They make their art, whether it be painting, writing, music, sculpting, whatever, in the hopes that their art will be appreciated by others, and perhaps have it mean something to the others as it does to themselves. In fact, the best art can mean something different to each person who comes across it.  That's the amazing thing about art.  It can be especially true for music. There is something about music.  Something deep.  Something so meaningful. It can speak to the soul.  

My goal is to make music that not only reflects my own heart, but the heart of God.  There is nothing more important to me when it comes to my art. 

However, we artist need encouragement.  Most of us know we aren't likely going to make a living off of our art (though we probably all have those hopes at one point). Most of us aren't looking to "get rich" off our art.  We really just want people to appreciate our art.  And enjoy it.  And have it mean something to them.  

How discouraging for an artist when that just doesn't happen.

So, to those that resonate with that meme, don't give up on your dreams. If your art means something to you, then keep at it.  

To those of you that appreciate various artists, keep it up, but most importantly, don't think an artist has failed because they are thinking about, or perhaps they did give up their dream.  Instead, encourage artists along the way.  Let them know you are there to read their advance reader copy, or you are there to listen to their music, or you are there to gaze at their paintings.  And if you truly enjoy their art, tell them.  Tell others.  Put up reviews.  Believe it or not, that is the most encouraging thing for an artist.  Who knows, maybe your favorite song, book or painting will soon be created by one of the artists you encouraged.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restating The Obvious Lyrics and Notes

  Restating The Obvious (This document is available in PDF format with the purchase of my album, "Restating The Obvious" on my bandcamp site here: https://midiboy.bandcamp.com )   “Restating The Obvious” is a complete remake of Midiboy’s 1 st full length CD which was called “Stating The Obvious.”  The original album came with a 16 page booklet that contained the lyrics, along with a story set up to look like a journal.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to the original graphic artwork for that album and because I’ve also restructured, added two songs and rearranged the order of some of the songs, simply copying the original booklet didn’t seem like a great plan either.   An interesting note about the original album, and ultimately still holds true for this remake, is that it was reviewed by two popular online magazines, one Christian and one Secular.  The Christian magazine said that while the music was good, the message was lacking and didn’t really seem Christian. 

Scars - Physical vs. Emotional

Scars - Physical vs. Emotional) (Note:  I wrote this 4 years ago with the intention of posting it, but it looks like I never got around to doing that, so after reading it again, I decided this needed to be posted) --------------------------------------------------------------------- After having my 6th surgery in 5 years, I have a lot of scars. Some healed to the point of not being able to see them at all, and a few I will likely have the rest of my life.  While the newest ones still hurt a little, they are healing.  They will get better.  The others are just cool little reminders of what happened.  They don’t hurt at all.  That’s because, in most cases, physical scars typically heal, at least the “pain” part of them.   Emotional scars are an entirely different story.  I’ve seen a lot about bullying lately.  Both on Facebook and on TV.  It’s really sad to me, because I just don’t get it.  Why do people feel the need to bully other people?  God made us all different.  How boring would i

Echoes Of The Obvious

You may have heard parts of my story on the radio.  You may have read the small 16 page “journal” that I published called Stating The Obvious, but I believe it is time to tell the rest.  My name is Logan, and this is my story.  I was born with a double cleft palette which was operated on and fixed when I was a baby, however, it left behind a rather noticeable scar and my nose was often considered flat and off center by the other kids.  For the most part, I didn’t really have a hard time dealing with that until I was in the 7th grade. -[]- I stopped at my locker to get the books for my next class.  Most of the other kids typically grabbed all the books they needed for the next several classes, but I always figured it was easier to get them one class at a time. “So, Logan, what’s your next class?” the pretentious kid with a neighboring locker asked. “Oh, I know what it is…it’s ‘How To Pick Up Your Books in Two Minutes Or Less.’ Isn’t that it?” came another excited voice from my l